Thursday, February 19, 2009

A start to self sufficiency

With much inspiration from websites such as Verdant and Guerrilla Gardening, I have decided to create my own vegetable garden. Hopefully this garden will be able to produce a large amount of vegetables; which will enable me to cut down on the amount of money spent at the supermarket.

I started out with an area full of weeds that had not been maintained for a long time. It took me two hours to pull out most of the weeds and form a garden bed by digging up the soil. I then proceeded to dig the ground in order to get a smoother soil. I came across many roots and very hard areas of ground, but were able to remove them with a bit of effort. After I had consistent soil I decided to use bricks in order to make a boarder.


To access the area I had to cut through lots of foliage which will eventually become my compost for the garden. I hope to grow lettuce, carrots, potatoes, spinach and pumpkin.

I hope to produce enough food to be able to offer donations to family, friends and neighbors. I wish to keep you updated with the progress of my garden and urge others to produce their own food. Self sufficiency is a means of being independent and not relying on major supermarkets.

No comments:

Post a Comment